Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, from teachers and firefighters just doing their jobs every day to your Everyday Joe who jumps into the ocean to save a drowning girl. When they see danger, they think nothing of their own well-being and instead focus on helping others in their time of need.
But there are some lesser-known heroes in our midst, as well. The service dogs and military working dogs, the pit bulls who throw themselves over their owners to protect them from an oncoming train, and the German shepherds who search day and night through rubble to find survivors. Their loyalty truly knows no bounds.
Read about some of these four-legged warriors and their heroic deeds below …
1. Sandy the Pomeranian, ran into a burning house to save her best friend, a blind Chihuahua.
3. Tater Tot was just hours from being euthanized when he was taken into a foster home. Less than a week later, his 4-year-old “brother” stopped breathing and fell unconscious. This pit bull would not stop barking until someone came to help.
4. This German shepherd search-and-rescue dog, like so many others, worked tirelessly to find survivors trapped in the rubble in the aftermath of 9/11.
14. Lilly, another pit bull, was walking with her owner on railroad tracks when her owner tripped and fell – as a train was rapidly approaching. She threw her body over her owner to protect her, and lost a leg in the process.
15. During a walk with his new owner, this rescue dog found an injured hummingbird, but there’s no way he’d let it die on his watch. He refused to leave the bird, so he and his new owner worked together to bring it back to 100%
16. A pit bull named Akasha never had puppies, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t have a maternal instinct. Her owner saved a little kitten then came back and found her beloved pet nursing the little one.